Saturday, April 25, 2009

Got bees???

My neighbor came over just as I was leaving and asked if it was normal for the bees to be flying everywhere. I told her it was a nice spring day and they are out pollinating and they are attracted to the dandelions. She then said because obviously I wasn't getting her point, asked if it was normal for them to form a ball in a tree branch. Sure enough my hive split. This happens because the hive got to full or the hive had two queens in it. I immediately called Joe since he was still at work.




When he got home I showed him the picture and he grabbed the bee suits and said where did they go they are not in the tree anymore . I told Joe are you sure about that because look and pointed to the tree.

You will not believe this and we must have had help. We thought how are we going to get them from there to the new hive. We both got suited up in our bee suits and had to brush them into a cardboard box and dump them into the hive. Praying that we wouldn't accidentally kill the queen and that we would be able to relocate her. Joe's suite has open pockets where the bees can get in and sure enough they did he got stung twice on the arm. He then got upset and did what I call the Incredible Hulk move and that is trying to kill all of them as he could. He regretted this later because as we left the hive they kept going after him. He took a shower and changed his clothes and stepped outside if the front yard and got stung in the neck. I asked him if he shampooed his hair because the shampoo is called apple nectar. I told him that he took kamikaze stings for me and he is my hero.


Now they are in their new home in the back yard. The neighbor kept telling me that she really enjoys them and her garden is a lot better this year because of them and wouldn't want us to get rid of them. I am just so glad she came over because I had no idea what was happening in my own back yard.

Then to make things worse. During the day I noticed something black and white in the hay barn. I thought that cannot be a skunk. Sure enough it was and it went into the chicken coop. I was scared because we could have easily have been in the hay barn and who knows if it was rabid. Joe took care of it and it let out its final spray and oh boy does the coop area stink.

1 comment:

Cher said...

Holy Cow! Those pics were awesome to see. I cant belive the tree trunk how crazy. Glad that you were able to get them under control and home. Poor Joe. Stings are no fun. So do you get a lot of honey?